Probably my most requested recipe is also my least fancy: keto ginger crunch. I have to be honest, even before I went keto I found most ginger crunch slices very lack lustre.
For starters, I hate a soggy base. Crunch is crucial. Secondly, I actually want it to taste like ginger, not just be a conduit for a chunk of icing sugar. Third, it needs to live up to my childhood dreams.
Those days when I would open my lunch box at school and find a small golden square of delicious from my mother made my absolute week. It need that sparkle of mama made magic - so it is based on my Mum's version which, you guessed it, came straight outta Edmonds.
50g butter melted
1½ cups Perfect Porridge
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ginger powder
1 tbsp fresh ginger
1/4 cup cream (ish) + 25-50g more cold butter
¾ cup powdered sweetener
2 tbsp brown sugar sweetener or keto golden syrup
3 tbsp ground ginger
1. Turn oven to 180 and line your baking dish. Stir the baking powder, ginger powder into the Perfect Porridge.
2. In a small bowl, grate the fresh ginger onto the butter before melting it. This ensures the fresh ginger flavour and spice permeates the porridge base, even if doesn't touch it.
3. Mix the butter into the porridge base and press out into your slice tray - I used a brownie square but a pyrex will do fine. Prick the base. Bake for 15min or until the top turns golden. It will come out a little puffy and spongy - don't worry about that, it will crunch up in the fridge. Set aside while you make the icing.
4. In a small saucepan melt the butter and add the brown sugar or keto golden syrup to the butter and ginger and bring to a bubble until it is well combined.
5. Add in the icing sugar and ground ginger and let it simmer on low until well combined. Turn off the heat. Now drizzle in the cold cream or cold cream and cold butter until it thickens and combines into one thick sauce. Pour out immediately onto the warm base and fridge, don't freeze, until set.
Slice it up and post it on instagram for me to see you enjoy it! This is such a crowd pleaser and makes quite a lot of ginger crunch - if you have a question, hit me up, I love to help. I really hope you enjoy this family favourite!